Dubai is a unique city, which has become known worldwide for its sense of excess, luxury and innovative tourist attractions. In this city in the United Arab Emirates, nothing seems impossible. And one of the biggest symbols of Dubai’s extravagance is Palm Jumeirah.
This artificial island, which takes the shape of a palm tree when seen from the sky, is one of the most ambitious projects in history. It is a true temple of luxury, home to many attractions and one of the most famous hotels in the world, the famous Atlantis. If you plan to visit Dubai, you will most certainly visit Palm Jumeirah. In this article, I tell you what to expect and what you can see & do there 🙂
What to see and do on the palm island?
This large island in the shape of a date palm extends over 5 km long in the Persian Gulf, off the city of Dubai. In total, it consists of 17 palms, all of which are home to large luxury resorts, dreamy beaches and unique attractions:
- Palm Fountain The Palm Fountain is the largest fountain in the world, with a surface area of 14,000 square meters and incredible jets that rise up to 105 meters high. Since October 2020, it is possible to enjoy a water and music show there several times a day, from Saturday to Wednesday from 7 to 10:30 p.m., and on Thursday and Friday from 7 to 11:30 p.m.
- The Atlantis Hotel The Atlantis Hotel is one of the world’s most famous resorts. It is one of Dubai’s most iconic destinations. This incredibly luxurious palace is also home to numerous shops, award-winning restaurants and attractions. All of these sites are also accessible to those not staying directly in the hotel.
- L’Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark : Atlantis Aquaventure Waterpark is a water park located in the heart of the resort. Here you can enjoy a variety of water activities such as scuba diving, water slides, sea lions and even swimming with dolphins.
- The Lost Chamber Aquarium is the largest aquarium in the United Arab Emirates. It is an annex of the Aquaventure park, which is also part of the Atlantis complex. In these huge tanks live more than 65,000 animals including tropical fish, rays and of course sharks. In total, you can discover more than 20 different exhibits. You will be able to go down a tunnel on a buoy, or live amazing virtual reality experiences with polar bears.
If you like diving, I recommend you to experience diving at Atlantis The Lost Chambers Aquarium. You will discover an incredible diversity of aquatic life, you can go down into clear waters and explore the arches and ruins that replicate the lost city with a professional instructor. You will have the opportunity to swim alongside schools of colorful fish, giant rays and reef sharks.
- The Nakheel Mall Nakheel Mall is a large luxury shopping mall where you will find brands from all over the world as well as entertainment and leisure activities for the whole family.
- Palm West BeachThe most beautiful beach on the artificial island, where you can relax and swim, but also sip a cocktail or enjoy a good meal in one of the bars and restaurants on the seafront.
- Al Ittihad Park Al Ittihad Park is a real oasis in the heart of Palm Jumeirah, with more than 100 species of trees and plants native to the region. It is the perfect place for a nice walk or a short jog.
- The View at the Palm an observation platform located at 2,540 meters above sea level, allows you to admire the artificial archipelago from a unique angle.
- The Pointe is one of the most popular recreational areas on the Island of the Palm. This mile-long promenade is the perfect place to relax by the water and enjoy the beautiful views. The area also features more than 80 stores and restaurants, as well as numerous attractions, including playgrounds for children.
- Club Vista Mare one of the most popular places in the Palm, which includes a wide variety of famous restaurants such as The Tap House, La Cucina or again Ibn Al Bahr. These establishments offer cuisines from the Middle East, but also from many countries around the world.
On the island, you will also have the opportunity to practice many water activities. Snorkeling, scuba diving, paddle boarding, kayaking, windsurfing, and many other water activities are offered at Club Vista Mare, Palm West Beach or the Pointe.
How to get to Palm Jumeirah ?
Getting to Palm Jumeirah Island is very simple, as it is possible to get there by road and through several tunnels, either by car or by using public transportation.
You can use the Red Line from Dubai Metro to the Dubai Marina stationand then change to the Streetcar to the Palm Jumeirah station. From there, you can walk to the island, and in just over 5 minutes walk, you will reach the Palm Gateway Station, where you can take the Dubai Monorail.
Getting around Palm Jumeirah Island: the Palm Monorail
To discover this emblematic district of Dubai, you will be able to borrow a very original means of public transport: the Palm Monorail. More than just a means of transportation, this elevated train will take you on a scenic journey where you will see amazing sights at every stop, and enjoy magnificent views of the island, the sea, and the stunning skyline of the Dubai Marina.
This train, inaugurated in 2009, crosses the entire length of the island and connects the main sites from the Gateway station at the entrance of the island to The Pointe. It runs every day of the week from 9 am to 10 pm. It passes by the Atlantis Hotel, Al Ittihad Park, Nakheel Mall, and Atlantis Aquaventure Water Park, among others.
This monorail is not part of Dubai’s public transportation system. Therefore, you will not be able to use a Nol Card: you will need a special ticket to board.
Fares vary depending on the number of stations you pass through. The price of a one-way ticket for the Palm Monorail varies between AED 10 and AED 20or between 2,50 € and 5 €.. The round trip ticket costs between AED 15 and AED 30. You can also find full-day tickets for AED 35.
If you drive onto the island and park at the Gateway station, your ticket will allow you to enjoy 3 hours of free parking.